What is a facial serum?
Serums are highly concentrated, traditionally water-based skincare products that render specific results. For instance, a brightening serum containing antioxidants such as Vitamin C will help deliver a more even skin tone. In contrast, a hydrating serum containing ingredients such as hyaluronic acid will help boost and lock in moisture, preventing your skin from drying out.
Traditionally, serums are often clear, water-based, and lower in viscosity. The nature of serums allows for deeper penetration into the skin than heavy creams that usually sit on top of the skin’s most outer layer like a protective coat. This isn’t to say that you should ditch creams. Serums are complementary products, and when used before a cream-based moisturizer, they help boost your skin’s hydration levels.
Why are serums good for the skin?
As explained in the above paragraphs, serums are excellent skincare products that help keep your skin well-nourished and hydrated. There are various types of serums with specific targets, making them a bit unconventional because they deviate from the one-stop-shop mentality we are used to today, where single products are marketed for their ability to deliver a wide range of benefits. When appropriately applied, serums can provide significant benefits, making them worth the bang for the buck (it’s no secret that serums can lean on the pricier end, after all).
Do you have any recommendations?
Of course, we do! Here’s a list of some tried-and-tested serums:
- Osme’s Hydrating Serum (Hydrating Rosehip Oil Aroma Serum)
- Flora serum
- Osme’s Glow Serum (Jojoba Oil Aroma Serum)
- The Ordinary Alpha Arbutin 2% + HA
How are serums to be used?
Here’s a simple five-step process you can follow. Remember, there is no fixed skincare routine that you need to follow. Just because your friend follows a ten-step Korean skincare routine, it doesn’t mean you need to do the same. Take your time exploring various products and discovering what works for you.
- Wash your face using a gentle facial cleanser perfect for your skin type. Make sure to use lukewarm water to rinse.
- Let your face air dry on its own, or use a clean cotton pad.
- Apply a generous amount of toner onto a clean cotton pad and gently sweep your face.
- Load one pump of serum onto your hand and massage the product onto your face. (Note: This step should be taken after you’ve conducted a patch test.)
- Wait for the serum to soak into your skin, then apply a moisturizer of your choice. Voila! You’ve taken five easy steps to keep your skin clean, soft and moisturized.
Shopping for the right facial serum can be fun and exciting. So, when you find one you’d like to incorporate into your skincare routine, you might have the urge to try it right away. But as with any skincare product, Osme recommends you conduct a patch test before applying it all over your face. Due to the potency of serums, Osme recommends you incorporate new serums into your skincare in an unhurried manner.